Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Foods and there affects

I'm sure some of you may have heard this on the news or talks shows in the last few years. How foods affects our children's behavior. My sister in law has done lots of research about this and has found lots of good information that has greatly helped her son.

Avery's behavior was out of control. She would just act crazy, laugh when she got in trouble and continue the behavior that led to the time out. She just didn't seem to care. I was starting to wonder if this was just her personality.

Then one night my mom let her have some yogurt after her dinner. And she was up until well after 10:00pm refusing to lay down. And again acting crazy. Later on my mom read the label on the yogurt. One of the ingredients was Red 40. I've heard a lot about how dyes can do strange things to kids.

So the next day we went out to Whole Foods and got new yogurts and snack foods that contained no dyes. We even changed our ketchup to the organic brand with all natural ingredients. The stuff they sell on the shelf contains High Frutose Corn Syrup, which if eaten to much of is bad for you. I'm also watching the amounts of white refined suger I let her eat and trying to limit that was well.

The change we have seen in her over the last week has been amazing. She's going to bed easier at night, she seems to listen better. She's not bouncing off the walls as much. We still have a few things to work on but over all her behavior is improving.

I'm just glad we figured this all out now before it become to much of a problem. And I'm glad my sister in law shared some of what she learned about it with me so that I knew to try this first.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Maybe that is what is wrong with Tripp! He's driving us nuts!!! He is so "BAD"....Yes you heard me, I just called my son bad! I am so glad you found something to help little Avery. I hope she continues to do good for you. I know how frustrating it is to have a wild child.