Thursday, May 21, 2009

My children won't sleep and it's driving me nuts!

If you've been following my blog since I had Aynslee then you know this is one of many posts about the lack of sleep we get in our household. Aynslee just didn't want to sleep as a baby. We'd rock her and as soon as we'd lay her down she'd wake up so we'd start over some nights this would take 2 hours. I tried Babywise (not a fan) it didn't work. I read, "The No Cry Sleep Solution, by Elizabeth Pantly" I used some of what she suggested but couldn't seem to perfect it for us. 

My main concern about having another baby was that the baby I already had didn't sleep. I thought I was doomed to being up all night long with two kids at different times of the night. One we brought Avery home and the battle of bedtime raged on Josh finally had enough after rocking Aynslee for an hour with out success. He put her in her bed left the room and didn't turn back. It took her a while of crying after about 30 minutes I went into the room ( I had been told not to pick her up and rock her) gently told her that it was bedtime and she needed to lay down and go to sleep. She DID! And slept through the night! 

I am not sure what has happened over the last year. Both girls were sleeping through the night and life was great. Until for some reason Aynslee started having night wakings again. She'd come into our room and want to sleep in our bed. So I made her a little bed on the floor and told her she could sleep there if she needed to but not in the bed with us. Some night's she'd sleep on the floor some night's she'd sneak into the bed. 

Now it's getting worse, she refuses and fusses at bedtime even without a nap to go to sleep. At home I just put her to bed and tell her to go to sleep but she's still ends up in my bed with Josh being gone I don't make a big deal about it. 

But since we have been gone this week bedtime wars have resumed, and it's horrible. I haven't been making Aynslee take a nap while we have been here hoping for an early bedtime of 7:30pm. The other day we had them down at that time and it took Aynslee nearly 2 hours to fall asleep and Avery even longer. Both of them screaming for just about the entire time, we can't have them screaming here. I fear we will get kicked out of the hotel if they do it to often. 

I feel like this isn't normal sleep patterns for an almost 4 yr old. I also feel like I have tried everything I can think of to get this kid to sleep and she's still not sleeping. It's wearing on me. It doesn't give me much quiet time if she doesn't nap then doesn't go to sleep until late. I need some solitude during the day or at night before I go to sleep myself. 

Is there something I am missing? Is she not getting enough sleep? 

4 comments:

grannyshirley said...

I don't know what to tell you. When I was at your house after Easter, Aynslee slept in my bed and even though she didn't go to sleep right away,somenights, she did, finally, without a fuss. She slept until 7 or 7:30. When I am at your house for my "sleep over" she can sleep with Grandma and you can get some much need rest. I know that isn't helping you now.

Lacey said...

Well my kids don't go to bed until about 10:00 LOL I had been letting them get in the bed with us and fall asleep then moving them to their bedrooms but recently Justin and I have been taking turns getting them to sleep in their room and then I have a little free time after they go to bed. Even though it is late! They sleep through the night.

If I put them to bed early they will be up before the sun!

Emily said...

I don't know why but it's not letting me read your blog for long with out giving me an error...okay now for the sleeping thing. Hmmm, I really don't know. I think sometimes kids just do readjusting to make sure we are paying attention :) Kenzie was doing good and then she started waking up all night, she will go right back to sleep, but still frustrating. I would stick to the 7:30 or 8 routine...just try to make the bedtime routine the same almost everynight and try cuting out too much play time in between baths and bed. Maybe then It will sink in that this is bedtime and you are the boss :) Don't back down...stick to your guns!

Jac said...

It's probably not fair for me to comment because you know Brookie is some sort of saint when it comes to going to sleep and sleeping for 12 hours or so...

But, I guess all I can think of is to keep trying to put them to bed at whatever established bedtime you guys have, and sooner or later they'll get it. My kid is only 12 months old, so... WHAT DO I KNOW?!

Good luck!!!