Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Becoming more aware of Enegry Use

Last month one of the MOPS meetings I attended on becoming more green, had these 2 gentlemen that own a business that helps you improve your energy use in your home. I didn't realize all the things you can do to make your home more green.

A few of the things they talked to us about included things we could do that wouldn't cost us anything. I know some of this will sound like common sense stuff to some of you and even though I know a lot of this I forget to do this. Or sometimes it didn't even occur to me.

That being said, I implemented a few of the things they told us about.

Turning off ceiling fans. We always leave the one in the LR on, even when we are not home. Silly to think it would help keep the house cool even if we weren't there since it's only reason for use is to move the air in the room so you feel more comfortable.

Unplugging appliance or gadgets with a three pronged power cord when not in use. Baby monitor's for one. My cell phone charger, they pull current even when your phone isn't plugged into it.

Instead of turning off the AC unit just turn it up, it works harder if left off when you turn it back on and really isn't saving you any money or energy. Cause it's using more energy to cool off the hot house. Another reason not to do this is that the humidity builds when it's turned off, which isn't good for the interior of the house.

When we go out of town I usually will unplug the computer, tv's and other things that won't be in use while we are gone.

I came home that day and started on some of these things. I checked my electric bill for this month and it's lower by $36.00.

I am thrilled with this positive change. It has made me more aware of my consumption of energy and how to lesson my footprint.

3 comments:

Wendi said...

Wow! $36 is a nice drop. I will have to try some of this. I never unplug my cell phone charger. I guess that will have to change.

grannyshirley said...

Sounds good to me. I will unplug my phone charger and will be more aware to unplug my toast and other things.

Emily said...

I need to do mine...while I am typing this I see four lights on in the bathroom, no one is in...a laundry light on...the kitchen light and one light in the living room and TV on and no one is in these rooms...that's got to be $100 right there right...not to mention the stupid crap I leave pluged up!