Saturday, September 03, 2011

I got my answer

School started for both girls last week. Sugar started 1st grade and Spice is in prek. Our state has a voluntary program that they pay for we took advantage of it when Sugar was 4. I decided to send Spice back to the same little school that Sugar went to since we were familiar with it. Mainly because they offered morning and afternoon carline. I wouldn't have to get out to take her into school each morning or to pick her up. I turned in her voucher back in February so ensure she had a spot. Before my mom left I went and got her exemption for her shots to finish off the final paper work for her to attend school.

We received a letter in July letting us know what time her class was. I expected it to be from 9-12:00 but she was in the 8:30-11:30 class. I was a little worried about this because Sugar starts school at 8:30 and wondering how I'd get them to school on time. Really the first day was the only issue we had and Spice was a little late. Other than that it has worked out great. We were unable to attend the parent/teacher conference before school since it was the day we got home with monkey. Chief called and explained why we wouldn't be there. I hated missing that meeting but there wasn't anything we could do.

Anyway first day of school we find out there is no drop off carline only pick up. That means taking monkey out and walking her in every morning. The parking lot is really small this place is a daycare that offers preschool so not only do you have parents dropping off for preschool there are parents dropping off for daycare too. That's the other reason carline was a good idea. But I guess they thought  they could avoid this but staggering the times the classes start for preschool. Spice is in the first one of the day. Afternoon carline went ok, they have gotten a new director and assistant director since Sugar went there and they don't seem as organized as the one that was there when Sugar went there.

Second day of school we find out there will no longer be afternoon carline. They don't feel it's necessary. This is strike 2 for us, strike 1 is that the new director isn't very personable and I don't really care of her. But I can't like everyone so I was overlooking it but Chief wanted to move her to another school. I was annoyed by it too but she likes her teacher and has made friends. I was just going to let it slide since she was happy. It was an annoyance for us more than anything.

On Weds the assistant director mentions that they need Spice's school physical form. I told her I'd get it taken care of and bring it in. That was at the end of the day on weds. and of course If forgot to call to get her an appointment. It gets hectic in the afternoons for us. Yesterday in her take home folder there is a note. It stated that if her physical form wasn't turned in by Tues the 6th that she could no longer attend school until they received it. It's Friday and Monday is a holiday. That doesn't give me a lot of time to get it done.  I call to get her an appointment for Tues. There are no appointments until the 29th of this month. I call the school to explain this and ask what can be done. I was hoping they'd just tell me as long as she has an appointment then it will be fine. No she can not return to school until I have the form to turn in, they can't do anything about it because it' comes from DCF. Here's the catch this is a state funded program and they kids are only allowed 3 unexcused absences a month. IF she does not go back until after her appointment then she loses her spot in the program. I was mad! I can't understand why this wasn't brought to my attention earlier. They've known about this since the first day of school and before that that they paper wasn't in her file. I'm finding it really hard to understand why this wasn't brought to our attention sooner. I got really upset when the assistant director tells me it's all MY fault because it was in the packet they gave me right next to needing her shot records. I told her I take responsibility for over looking that but it was their job to at least remind me sooner that I had over looked it. Now my child won't be able to attend school because of it. I was so mad if I could have I"d be spitting nails.

Here's the other thing I can't just go in there and request her voucher back. I have to unenroll her from the school, go back to the office that gives out the vouchers and get another one. It's at the beginning of the school year so finding a good school that we like isn't going to be easy.

I did call the appointment line back and found out I need to call them this weekend to see if there were any cancellations for Tues or Weds so that I can get Spice in sooner to be seen.

I made another call to the Children's commission that gives out the vouchers to see what I need to do get a new one.

Spice and I went to another school that a friends son goes to and get an application. They have one spot left. They go 4 day's a week and provide lunch. It's 1 hr longer than where is goes right now. I liked the playground and the class room was big and bright. I"m just not feeling good about the whole thing. I hate the idea of moving her since she's made friends already.  She has been doing a lot better the last 2 weeks.

I do feel like since we had already thought about moving her that this is what we needed to make the decision to move her. I"m just unsure about it. Maybe it's me not wanting the change or going through the hassle of moving her. I do know she needs to be in school and we are going to have make a decision.


1 comment:

Allison said...

What an aggravation for you guys. Praying that you will feel good about whatever you decide to do. Knowing "spice", she will make friends quickly wherever she goes!